The world’s first service club, the Rotary Club of Chicago, Illinois, USA, was formed on 23 February 1905 by Paul P. Harris, an attorney who wished to recapture in a professional club the same friendly spirit he had felt in the small towns of his youth. The name “Rotary” derived from the early practice of rotating meetings among members’ offices.
The Portland Pearl Rotary Club began as the Portland Industrial Rotary club in 1975, and served the NW Industrial area. We were a small club, meeting first in the Industrial area, then moving to the Multnomah Athletic Club.
After several years of holding out meetings at the MAC, in 2005 we made a big move to the Pearl and rebranded our club as the Portland Pearl Rotary Club. Because of our dynamic and interesting speakers, our focus on club diversity, and a steady influx of active, caring people of all ages, we continue to be one of the area’s fastest growing Rotary club.
The Portland Pearl Rotary Club is highlighted as one of the fastest growing clubs in the district. Our innovative Social Justice Committee, a commitment to our community, active Youth Exchange, collaboration with local schools, and our amazing array of speakers all contribute to our success.